Sunday, August 17, 2008

Roaches on the Run

No new sitings of roaches, plenty of ants though. They usually come out at night and about every hour I come out and wage war against them. 24 hours to go until our exterminators. We have to pull out all our appliances and clean everything out under cabinets and around the floor of all closets and walls. Were starting to think we should get some sort of rent discount for this.

Yesterday, we went back to Makaha beach. We thought it would be crowded, especially since its a holiday weekend (Admittance day on Fri), but it wasn't. We set up camp and Brian visited the local plate lunch truck and found a nice meal of smoked brisket, corn and potato salad for $5.50. Turns out the ladies usually set up their truck in our hometown. After the day in the sun (no sun was able to penetrate my forcefield of spf 70), we stopped for some shave ice on the way back. Brian had a large strawberry, I had a small coconut with ice cream (they put a small scoop of ice cream in the bottom). It really hit the spot.

We grilled out burgers on the grill. We recorded the Olympics and I was so tired I fell asleep during the Phelps race. Brian had to rewind it for me twice because I feel asleep during the second watching as well!

This morning we went to the farmers market and then to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. Now, this is an experience. They have booths upon booths of shopping. Items were mainly flowered print sundresses, Aloha shirts (we call all this stuff Aloha gear), various salty snacks and Aloha decor. I know we'll be back later, but this time we picked up some Hawaiian salt, a dress for me, some snacks, and postcards (7 for $1). We also had our first Malasada (or is it a Masalada). Its a to die for....hot off the fryer....doughnut. We noticed they sell these 0ut of a lot of trucks around here. Its amazing how many lunch trucks are around everywhere. There's one every few blocks. I'm sure everyone has their favorite.

We may visit the hammock grove this afternoon or the pool.

3 comments:

Gary said...

It's so fun to read your blog. I loved Makaha, too! It was my favorite beach! I actually took a bus there with all the locals. Such fun!. The waves were amazing. Shopping in Waipahu? Whoa! This is so like reliving my past life! Any Pearl City Tavern sightings?

JuJu

Gary said...

I needed to send another comment. Roaches? I think people here can't appreciate how big some of them can be - I remember thinking some of them were little chipmunks! Totally gross!

JuJu

Derek N said...

It all sounds awesome! Well, except the roaches and ants, but even those are worth it if that's the worst thing in your day. :) We look forward to seeing more beautiful pics.

-Annie

Send me your new address so we can send you something. andrea117@comcast.net