Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hail to the Victors!

Brian and Sarah: 1
Roaches and Ants: 0

Yesterday we had the exterminator visit. He was spraying around and then said, "you guys are going to leave for a few hours right?" No one told us that he was spraying inside everywhere and we would need to leave. So we grabbed our books and hit the pool (didn't have time to gather beach gear). Afterwards we drove into Chinatown for dinner. We had a great meal at the Little Village Noodle House. It was BYOB, so we picked up a bottle of wine at a nearby market. We really liked the restaurant, cute decor and great food. The best hot and sour soup I've had.

This morning, we were originally going to rent a kayak and paddle to this hidden/sunken island. But we decided to wait on that excursion when we realized that we would need to rent the kayak in a different town, along with the seat cushions, dry bag, etc., strap the kayak to the roof, hit the tides right and get back at a certain time. We want to check out the launching site first and ask around to see when is the best time to do the ride (its only a mile paddle).

So we went to the North Shore and beached it at the Three Tables (near Shark's Cove- where there are no sharks). Lots of people were snorkeling there so we will do that sometime. Then we had a late lunch at Giovanni's White Shrimp truck, where we split the spicy shrimp plate lunch. It was lava hot....but tasted good after some hours on the beach. Then we drove back to Haleiwa and picked up a shaved ice for dessert. We decided to drive to the end of the road on the northwest side of the island since we hadn't seen it yet. It was a beautiful drive, by the time we got to the end there was barely a house around. We saw one of the spots where they film Lost. Looked familiar, but I will have to rent the DVDs to brush up.

Its funny because the road is supposed to be finished (for over 10 years), but they stopped short of completing the wrap around by 3 miles. The pavement just ends and there is an off roading trail which we weren't going to try.

We got back and I realized that my spf forcefield had been infiltrated. I have a burned backside. I haven't burned my backside in awhile. So I'm quite irritated at myself. My sunscreen must have rubbed off on my beach chair and when I went to lay on my stomach on the cloudy day for an hour which included 10 min of sprinkling....I ended up with the burn.

So tonight when we were having our sweet corn (picked up from a road side stand in Hawiewa), I felt like Fival in "An American Tail". I was singing the "Somewhere, out there" song in my head while eating sweet corn knowing that everyone in Illinois is having good sweet corn now too.

We also had Opa from the grill with some of my mango salsa I made the other day (for the scallops on Sun). I am loving the fresh fruit and seafood. Although, the shellfish is not fresh caught. Turns out the water's too warm here for it. Also, no beaches have shells or shark teeth

Juju, you rode the bus through Nanakuli?!! I wouldn't do that anymore around here. But the bus still comes out there. No real waves this time a year, I'm sure that will change this winter.
I looked up the Pearl City Tavern online...bad news....it closed in 1993.

Tomorrow, we pick up my car. Thurs, Brian leaves for the weekend for his brother's wedding in Michigan.

1 comment:

Gary said...

Ah, farewell Pearl City Tavern. You were a great place. That bus ride was kind of bad back then, too. But I was like 22 and didn't know any better! Sounds like you're having such a great time. I remember a great "Falls" a few miles past Hanama Bay that was great. You walked like a mile back in and could swim there. Have you heard of that? I can't remember the name. It was kind of in the middle of nowhere - 40 years ago - and is now probably the entryway to an expensive housing development!

By the by, did I tell you I booked a place at Topsail for the week of June 13. You can look it up. It's through Treasure Realty. Just go to 5 bedroom single family homes - it's 4246 Island Drive.
Later

Aunt JuJu