Thursday, April 24, 2008

Aloha update..

Yesterday, I couldn't access the internet, so I will keep it brief (which still means you will have to read lots). First we went to look at houses yesterday only to end up very disappointed. Housing is VERY expensive here. And..there are a lot of bad neighborhoods. So to console ourselves, we went back to Makaha beach (were there on Sun). We basked in the sun and water for a few hours and somehow I had enough sunscreen to not get burned for 3 hours of peak sun time. There may have been 5 other families/couples on the beach about 1/2 mile long. We also saw the sea turtle swim by twice. It was cool, I didn't get in the water with it though, 'cause I didn't want to scare it away. It is huge- about 4 feet across (I think). Then we went to find some local grinds (food). We stopped at Ono's Restaurant (Ono means delicious in Hawaiian). We had some great authentic local food. I tried the poi (mashed taro root), it was horrible. It was like eating paste with no flavor, maybe a bit bitter. But I also had kalua pig (roasted pork in banana leaves) and some sort of coconut jello thing. Brian had the poke (raw tuna with greens, soy, hot sauce, salt, onion and tomato) again. The restaurant was this hole in the wall that was awesome. They had pictures of all sorts of famous people there, signed......Chuck Norris, Caruetz (Bears player), some people from Karate Kid, etc. We then came back to the hotel to change. Later we went out for some drinks, one at a place above Waikiki, to do some people watching and then later we went to Cha Cha Cha's again. You just can't beat the place. We got the biggest plate of nacho's ever, had more margaritas and enjoyed the night air (I love that it's next door to our hotel and open to midnight). I had also picked up some Aloha wear so I will look like a real tourist tomorrow.



Today....So, yesterday, even though it was fun was really disappointing because we realized that so far we don't have jobs and rent will be over $2000 a month. So today....we started out by going out for some real Korean breakfast. We found a place that had it (we do this regularly in Ann Arbor) and ordered the Bi Bim Bap (rice, steak, spinach, kim chee (spicy cabbage) cucumber, and an egg on top). The owner was real suprised to see these white people ordering it. And then he was even more excited when we ordered extra hot sauce for it. It was great! Then we walked along Waikiki beach, it was packed by 9am. Lots of surfers and people watching. We saved this girl who had an over 2 inch cockroach about to crawl on her towel. We then sat at a cafe on the beach and read the paper. On our way back to the hotel, I picked up some more Aloha wear (dress) and Brian got slapped on the arm by some crazy asian lady who was mad at him for not buying a ring he was looking at. We won't be shopping there again! Then Brian and I got ready for interviews (really for him) at Waianae Community Health Clinic. It was AMAZING!



The people there were sooo nice. And the clinic is huge. Then have integrated medical, behavioral science and dental. They have a med school component, they have a pharmacy, they have a helipad. It had the most wonderful view I have ever seen. Basically, Brian will be looking out over miles of beach and mountains while lunching near the built in waterfall and fish pond. Then after work (or at lunch) he can work out in their all glass work out room with the same view. Right now, they only have room for him full time, but are open to trying to help me find work in the area and possibly work something out full time for me. So Brian will be working at a resort, right over one of the best beaches on the island (where they have a surfing competition each winter). So I am super jealous, but happy for him. Oh, but it doesn't start until late Aug/ Early sept.



Then we went to Honolulu for my interview. The owner was really nice, and I liked her office. She wants to try things out for me for a few months with a set pay. Its a nice offer, but she needs part time at first and I am worried about the commute, but it is something. Plus she has a friend in an office a few blocks from there that also needs someone part time. So that could help. I will be looking at another office tomorrow that is in a better location for the commute. Because what's the point of living in paradise if you spend over an hour commuting everyday?



The bottom line, is that we got some great news, we feel better about the situation. Brian is still waiting for some salary numbers which will be available in a couple weeks. But I can try out the commute and see how it treats me.



So tonight, we may go out for some fun food, and people watching. There are some great sidewalk entertainment out here. There's this guy in an outfit with lasers that dances to michael jackson every night, among others. Tomorrow, I meet someone at an office at 1oam and then tomorrow afternoon, we are going to head up to the northwest shore to enjoy our last few hours of paradise for now......



If this works out, you all are really going to want to visit us!!!!

No comments: